Friday, March 23, 2018

The Light Fantastic

“When light encounters a strong magical field it loses all sense of urgency.  It slows right down.  And on the Discworld the magic was embarrassingly strong, which meant that the soft yellow light of dawn flowed over the sleeping landscape like the caress of a gentle lover or, as some would have it, like golden syrup.”
Pratchett describes the sunlight of Discworld as flowing like golden syrup several times during The Light Fantastic, which meant I spent a fair amount of the time that I was reading this book fantasizing about pancakes. Yes, I’m kind of weird, and carb deprived.
Anyway, stacks of fluffy flapjacks aside, we’re back with the continuing adventures of Rincewind and Twoflower! I didn’t find this book quite as laugh-out-loud funny as the previous one although it certainly did have its moments. Mr. alphabootoo is an inveterate punster and there were several passages I had to share with him because they were too groan inducing to keep to myself. This book finds the entire Discworld in peril from a great ruddy star that is growing ever closer and the spell in Rincewind’s mind is revealed to have a role to play in saving the world (Rincewind himself is considered somewhat expendable). We learn more about wizards and wizarding and spells – which left me eager to start reading about the Discworld’s witches because they sound like they will be far more sensible.
As much as I enjoyed Twoflower in the previous book, I absolutely fell in love with him in this one. I love his rose-colored glasses and his ridiculous optimism. And I totally and completely lost my heart to him near the end when he showed Rincewind – and the reader – that he is also more savvy than we had been giving him credit for. Since 2018 is currently kicking my butt, I could stand to cultivate some hardcore optimism myself. Maybe I need a WWTFD bracelet or something. Surely there has to be an etsy shop somewhere to help me out.
The next book in the publication order is a departure from the Rincewind tales so I will get a look at a different facet of the Discworld literary universe. I am really enjoying the books so far and glad I finally took the plunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment